Maskne: What can be done to avoid it?
During the Covid pandemic, health experts agree that wearing a mask is one of the most responsible and healthiest things to do. But with this step comes a new skin problem called Maskne, which is acne caused by wearing a mask.
Wearing a mask can lead to acne breakouts mainly for two reasons. Direct rubbing of a Mask to the skin promotes inflammation, which leads to breakouts.
Mask indirectly promotes breakout by trapping moisture and allowing microorganisms on the skin for overgrowth.
You will know that you might be suffering from maskne if breakouts appear near the edge of the Mask or where it touches the skin.
It’s required to keep wearing a face mask, even if you are suffering from maskne.
To protect yourself and those around us from Covid-19 is by covering Nose and Mouth.
Maskne can be avoided with the proper mask, and if it does occur, it can be treated.
Let’s take a closer look.
Mask is going to be part of daily life for a longer time. To keep this in mind, follow the below prevention tips that may help to prevent Maskne.
Wear the right mask
- Individuals should select a comfortable mask that does not irritate or rub the skin.
- A mask that does not fit properly is unlikely to protect the wearer and may cause maskne symptoms.
- If you are allergic to any material or develop one after wearing the mask you should immediately remove that mask.
Wash your fabric mask
- Need to wash fabric mask after every use to prevent maskne.
- It is advisable to wash your cloth masks after every use to remove Oils, Skin cells, and pathogens.
- You can wash with your regular clothes. One can choose hypoallergenic fragrance-free laundry detergent or soap to wash.
- Let them dry completely before use.
- If you wear wet masks there is a chance of developing rashes or acne.
- If the mask gets wet while wearing, immediately wash it to prevent mold from developing.
- And remember to wash or sanitize your hands before putting on the mask or removing it.
Removing the mask every 4 hours
- Mask needs to be removed for 15 minutes every 4 hours of use when it is safe to do.
- Healthcare workers find this method very reliable and it will reduce the risk of maskne.
- It is always advisable that people wash their hands before removing masks to prevent spreading germs.
Take a break from your makeup routine
- If you have maskne, you should avoid wearing makeup.
- Beauty items like blush, foundation, and concealer can clog your pores and make healing longer.
Apply a topical antimicrobial cream
- It’s not unusual for bacteria to grow under a mask, which leads to acne.
- For this reason, you may want to use a topical gel or cream on your skin before putting mask.
- During the Covid-19 pandemic, never miss your regular skincare routine to keep your skin healthy.
- Wash your face twice a day.
- When washing your skin, use a gentle face wash that can remove dirt, sweat, and oil from the skin.
- For washing, always use lukewarm water, not hot water.
- Hot water eliminates the natural oil from the skin.
- Instead of rubbing your skin, it needed to be pat dry with a clean towel.
- Rubbing your skin will cause more irritation.
- If you have dry skin face mask cause a problem to your skin which can be raw skin and irritation.
- Applying mild moisturizer which has a gel base, will add a protective layer to reduce dryness without leaving your skin oily.
- To protect against irritation and skin dryness, one should apply moisturizer to the skin immediately after washing.
- Apply moisturizer according to the skin type to prevent breakouts.
The bottom line
Mask acne or Maskne involves acne or pimple breakouts from wearing a mask. These symptoms may include pimples, chafing and irritation, and others.
It is important to keep wearing a mask in this covid pandemic. Wash your face regularly, apply moisturizer and wear the right kind of mask to prevent skin irritation, rashes, or maskne.
There is no such research on which materials or fit offer maximum protection from both Covid and skin problems, but a combination of cotton and silk mask may be beneficial.
If you are suffering from maskne and are more severe, it is advisable to approach a dermatologist immediately.